6 Ways to Stay Fit Whilst Travelling

Travelling + Fitness isn’t the easiest of equations, especially if you’re not used to it. It’s hard when you’re constantly on the move or in holiday mode. Truth is, if it is just a short 1-3 week holiday, giving the weights or HIIT circuits a miss won’t do you any harm. In fact, it will help to rest and replenish your body. However, if like me you take longer trips or travel often, having some knowledge on fitness travel hacks won’t go amiss. This guide is aimed at nomads who spend their life globetrotting, people who just enjoy taking trips throughout the year, or even working professionals who spend a lot of time away from home. Whoever you are and whatever you do, use these 6 fitness travel tips to keep you in check.

1. Get your mindset right. When you’re away from home surroundings and don’t have your usual training routine / gym, it’s easy to let those AM workouts slip out of your grasp by hitting snooze or promising yourself that you’ll exercise later. We’re all guilty of it, but it is avoidable. Set your alarm early to get the hardest physical activity of the day (your workout) out-of-the-way. Then you’re ready to attack the day already feeling like a champion!

2. Adapt to your surroundings. It’s easy to make excuses like “I don’t have access to a gym” or “I don’t have the equipment I need”, but this is where you can’t be picky if you want to stay in shape. When I was travelling Australia last year I lived in a van and stayed in a new place every night – I adapted to the new surroundings and used any bars, posts, benches etc to incorporate into my workouts. Likewise, if I stay in hotel rooms or Air BnB’s I just do a good old bodyweight HIIT circuit in the restricted space, or go for a run to explore the new city I’m in. You can workout pretty much anywhere, so make sure you don’t create a mental block thinking that you can’t. Be creative!

3. Travel prepared. You don’t necessarily need any equipment to workout, but sometimes it can be beneficial to invest in some travel light equipment to help enhance your training. My go to choices are resistance bands or a TRX system – all compact, light and not too pricey. Perfect for your travels, from weekend city breaks to a month in Bali. Also, make sure you take your workout clothes and a pair of trainers that double up for exercise.

4. Improvise. If taking equipment isn’t for you, you’ll need to know how to make use of objects around you and also put together bodyweight routines off the top of your head. Suitcases, water bottles, chairs, and beds are always good to make use of to name a few. Do you struggle to come up with workouts? Check out some of my Instagram videos for inspiration.

5. Plan your workouts. Chances are you’ll already have a routine and know what days you like to workout on. Make sure you make a habit of sticking to these days and put them in your phone calendar to make a commitment. Not only that, aim to have already chosen what you’ll be doing during the session (hotel/local gym, HIIT workout outside, go for a run, hotel room resistance workout etc). It’s much easier to get workouts done when you’ve already planned them out.

6. Don’t become a fast food fiend. It doesn’t matter how much you exercise, if you haven’t got your nutrition sorted out, you won’t see the progress you’re hoping for. Again, that holiday vibe or comfort of being in a nice hotel / Air BnB can have a trickle down effect into your eating habits – I can be a sucker for those breakfast buffets too! Don’t get me wrong, you can enjoy yourself and eat out more than you usually do at home, but avoid making bad food choices for the majority of the time. I live by an 80:20 principle. 80% of the time I eat foods that nourish and strengthen my body, leaving 20% of the time to indulge on foods that taste incredible or make me feel good. It’s about discipline and balance living in harmony.

Stick to these 6 travel fit tips and you’ll be leaner, stronger and fitter all year round, even if you’ve racked up those air miles.

Need help putting together a training program for your lifestyle on the go? Check out my online programs which are tailored to your needs. I specialise in helping people stay in shape on the go – I’ve done it myself many of times and helped plenty of others do the same.

Best,

Ed

You Might Also Like...

No Comments

    Leave a Reply